2016 Formula One Season

Add your own racing stories & visits, discuss series from now or long ago or tell the stories of your idols.
As long as it involves motorsport chat this is D place.

Re: 2016 Formula One Season

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 17 Mar 2016, 20:38

While waiting for the first free practice, let's have a look at the drivers' helmets!

Kimi Räikkönen
Usual Kimi quality; it's good, but some change would be nice. That Riva sticker bothers me immensely.

Sebastian Vettel
Reflective paint? It seems interesting!

Nico Rosberg
One of the best looking helmets on the grid, once again.

Lewis Hamilton
A helmet worthy of a world champion!

Felipe Massa
Oldie but goody; the familiar design still works.

Valtteri Bottas
A bit retro, which is not necessarily bad. Easy to recognize.

Daniel Ricciardo
Yeah, okay...

Daniil Kvyat
More interesting than his teammate's design, but I'm unsure about the glittery silver.

Sergio Perez
Real stunner! Amazing colors and design, and brilliant design. Masterpiece from Uffedesigns.

Nico Hülkenberg
???

Kevin Magnussen
Very good design, lovely color scheme, easy to recognize.

Jolyon Palmer
Looks a little uninspired and lazy.

Max Verstappen
Luckily he's an exciting river because this helmet isn't.

Carlos Sainz
Another Red Bull design which is okay but far from greatness. I have to wonder about that personal logo of his. Whose idea was it to highlight the SS?

Marcus Ericsson
Clean, neutral and safe. Just like Sweden.

Felipe Nasr
Another helmet with a retro twist. Not bad, not great.

Fernando Alonso
Typical Alonso color scheme in a well-executed design.

Jenson Button
Classic! Needs more dragons, though.

Rio Haryanto
Wonderful color scheme and excellent, dynamic design!

Pascal Wehrlein
Very interesting and elegant color scheme. For a moment I thought there was a pro-LGBT message in it, but then I realized it's the flag of Mauritius.

Romain Grosjean
Lovely colors, great design, a stunner.

Esteban Gutierrez
Very flashy; the design is cool but the color scheme isn't my favourite.

WTF SWO (Side-View Only) Helmet Rankings:

1. Rio Haryanto
2. Romain Grosjean
3. Sergio Perez
4. Pascal Wehrlein
5. Nico Rosberg
6. Kimi Räikkönen
7. Lewis Hamilton
8. Kevin Magnussen
9. Fernando Alonso
10. Valtteri Bottas
11. Felipe Massa
12. Jenson Button
13. Esteban Gutierrez
14. Sebastian Vettel
15. Marcus Ericsson
16. Carlos Sainz
17. Felipe Nasr
18. Daniil Kvyat
19. Max Verstappen
20. Daniel Ricciardo
21. Jolyon Palmer
22. Nico Hülkenberg

Team Helmet Rankings ( :P ) :

1. Manor
2. Mercedes
3. Haas
4. Ferrari
5. Williams
6. McLaren
7. Force India
8. Renault
9. Sauber
10. STR
11. Red Bull
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MadRacer38 » 17 Mar 2016, 21:20

It's too early in the morning to comment on the designs, but with Carlos Sainz helmet, they make the 'SS' look like that because his number is 55.

Bottas does/did the same with the 'TT' and his number, 77.
========== Black Diamond Racing #38 ==========
MadRacer38

Postby MadRacer38 » 18 Mar 2016, 11:38

Trackside report from your Aussie eyes on the ground 8-)

- Overall -
The cars are all significantly better then last year. They are a little louder (even though it's only really the pitch that makes them seem quite then the old V8's). The RAAF FA/18 Hornet isn't much louder, but you can feel the rumble too.
Of the engines, the Mercedes is the loudest. Ferrari is a nice sound. The Honda has kept its off-throttle rasp and is nearly as loud as the Merc. The Renault is definitely the quietest and smoothest sounding engine (much like in the V8 era).

- Teams -
Mercedes - Well...what's their to say. The car is excellent. It handled the conditions better then it's driver seemed too :P

Ferrari - Didn't do all that much running in Prac2 (which is all I saw). Seemed to be well sorted.

Williams - Barely even caught a glimpse of them, they stayed in the garage until under 10min to go.

Red Bull - The car is good but even at Melbourne you can see it's not as quick in a straight line. Don't expect anything heroic but they shouldn't be dismal this weekend. It'll be interesting to see how the intra-team battle goes. I think Kvyat will have a point to prove this season.

Force India - This is the smokey. I really think one of these two could end up on the podium on Sunday. The car will be one that makes Williams shake a little.

Toro Rosso - Not as quick or planted as I'd expected. Probably still learning the new power plant but they are a solid mid-pack this weekend.

McLaren - Genuine improvement. Seemed to be slightly quicker then the Renault powered cars and the car seems to handle reasonably well. A big step forward for them, yes, but they won't be troubling the podium any time soon.

Sauber - Did not see them do a single lap.

Haas - Seemed to be as good as the Toro Rosso. They have a slim chance of points and will be solid mid-pack but I think reliability will be their downfall this weekend. Not much running today wouldn't help that.

Renault - Not great. They'll be fighting Sauber this weekend imo. Expect quick progress over the year, but nothing special early.

Manor - They got heaps of running. Not much of it was quick though. Whilst I think they'll be with the pack (finally), I don't think they have the pace to sneak in the points. A clever strategy and maybe. Wehrlein seems a fair bit quicker Haryanto at the moment.

I'll be trackside again tomorrow (for the whole day though) so if you have any questions post-quali just post it here and I'll try my best :)
MadRacer38

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 18 Mar 2016, 11:53

MadRacer38 wrote:It's too early in the morning to comment on the designs, but with Carlos Sainz helmet, they make the 'SS' look like that because his number is 55.

Bottas does/did the same with the 'TT' and his number, 77.

Thanks for the info. I was just wondering whether the person who came up with it was the same marketing genius who thought 'KKK Supermarket' is a good name for a nation-wide store chain... :D

FP1 and FP2 didn't really shed much light on anything. Tricky weather meant not much traffic, and the only noteworthy thing was apparently Rosberg's crash (I haven't seen the practice sessions yet). The weather is not supposed to be very good tomorrow, either; that combined with the new qualifying format could mean a very mixed grid for the race.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MadRacer38 » 18 Mar 2016, 12:23

18 Celsius with rain through to midday and clearing showers in the arvo.

Rosberg's wasn't significant for any other reason then the fact he destroyed to only new wing he had (apparently) and will be running the old front nose/wing. Just a little spin that was in a section with nearby barriers.
MadRacer38

Postby MadRacer38 » 20 Mar 2016, 00:00

- Qualifying Report -
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/03/19/pol ... ualifying/
It was good until it wasn't. In Q1 and Q2 the system seemed to work well, keeping drivers under pressure to stay and set good laps. It was great from a trackside perspective. In Q3, we saw the flaw of the design. Without the pressure to get through to the next session, drivers would settle for a decent result once the car behind them got knocked out. As soon as Ricciardo was knocked out, STR were happy with their times so they stayed in and Massa didn't have enough time to change tires and have another run.
This left the 4 cars to fight it out, but you only have to qualify on the front 2 rows to give yourself a chance of the win. With Ferrari having used an extra set of SSofts to get through to Q3, they just settled as well, since there was no threat to their spots. Rosberg went out and got on the front row and that was it.

Q3 needs to be an 8-10min shootout between all 8 drivers. That way you get excitement in Q1 and Q2 but dont risk a terrible Q3.

- Full Quali Results -
1 - Lewis Hamilton ------ 1:23.837s - +-
2 - Nico Rosberg ------- 1:24.197s - 0.360s
3 - Sebastian Vettel ----- 1:24.675s - 0.838s
4 - Kimi Raikkonen ------ 1:25.033s - 1.196s
5 - Max Verstappen ------ 1:25.434s - 1.597s
6 - Felipe Massa -------- 1:25.458s - 1.621s
7 - Carlos Sainz --------- 1:25.582s - 1.745s
8 - Daniel Ricciardo ----- 1:25.589s - 1.752s
9 - Sergio Perez -------- 1:25.753s - Q2
10 - Nico Hulkenberg ------ 1:25.865s - Q2
11 - Valtteri Bottas -------- 1:25.961s - Q2
12 - Fernando Alonso ----- 1:26.125s - Q2
13 - Jenson Button -------- 1:26.304s - Q2
14 - Jolyon Palmer -------- 1:27.601s - Q2
15 - Kevin Magnussen ---- 1:27.742s - Q2
16 - Marcus Ericsson ----- 1:27.435s - Q1
17 - Felipe Nasr ------------ 1:27.958s - Q1
18 - Daniil Kvyat ------------ 1:28.006s - Q1
19 - Romain Grosjean ----- 1:28.322s - Q1
20 - Esteban Gutierrez ---- 1:29.606s - Q1
21 - Pascal Wehrlein ------ 1:29.642s - Q1
22 - Rio Haryanto ----------- 1:29.627s - Q1
MadRacer38

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 20 Mar 2016, 04:46

It's all been dramatized too much. Only Q3 failed; Q1 and Q2 were more interesting than they've ever been. Just go back to the old system for Q3 and everything is good.

15 minutes till the race. The wait is finally over 8-)
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 04 Apr 2016, 14:03

So much pre-season discussion, and then it got quiet as soon as the season got started! Even though there has been so much happening.

Rosberg is dominating the standings at the moment, with a 100% winning record after two races. Ferrari is very close, but reliability issues have caused a retirement for both Räikkönen and Vettel. Haas has taken F1 by storm, with an excellent 6th place in Australia followed by an even better 5th place in Bahrain. McLaren is struggling again; Alonso's dreadful accident and subsequent injury were bad news, but replacement driver Stoffel Vandoorne did a beautiful job and hunted one championship point. Williams is nowhere, and neither is Sauber, but Manor has taken a clear step forward. Their car was described 'fast as a rocket' on the straight line - previously, if I heard the words 'Manor' and 'rocket' in the same sentence, I assumed the team was selling their car to be recycled as materials for the North Korean missile program. Pascal Wehrlein is doing a great job so far - his teammate has been disappointingly slow, though.

When it comes to the chaos surrounding the qualifying format, which makes decision-making in the European Parliament seem coherent and sensible, I have some ideas to share.

1. Go back to the system last seen in 2005, one lap per driver. So what if it starts raining mid-session - it's the most exciting system I know.

2. A knock-out system! The 22 drivers are grouped into 11 pairs (chosen by random, by the championship standings or by the fans...). Only one pair will be on the track at the same time, the two drivers released at 30 seconds intervals. From each pair, the one with the best laptime advances to the next stage while the losers make up places 13-22 (based on their laptimes). The 11 winners + one lucky loser (=loser with the best laptime) form 6 pairs and another knock-out takes place. The top-six advance to the final phase, while the losers make up places 7-12 (based on their laptimes). In the final phase, each of the top-six drivers is released to the circuit separately, and gets one shot at the pole.

3. The random monkey banana bikini mudwrestling gorilla ice cream whack-a-bernie system. In the first phase 22 monkeys with numbers corresponding with drivers' race numbers are released onto the circuit. The session lasts for 10 minutes, and the drivers associated with the 16 monkeys who are the first to find the hidden bananas advance to the next phase, while the slowest ones are eliminated. The drivers with a number corresponding with monkeys who fail to find any bananas have to start from the pitlane, and flinging poop around warrants a penalty. In the second phase, the girlfriends and wives of the drivers will engage in a bikini mudwrestling match and eight losers are knocked out (the poop rule from the monkey round still applies). Next comes the gorilla ice cream round where the remaining drivers have to eat a cone of ice cream while donning a gorilla costume. The fastest two will fight for the pole position in a game of a whack-a-mole where the mole has been replaced with Bernie. Finally, the fans get to vote if they want to keep the current grid, shuffle it, or reverse it. Interactivity!
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Quiksilver » 04 Apr 2016, 14:09

1 is a no !!
2 is just awesome !!
3 is hilarious !!
Omnia vincit amor.
Quiksilver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby oblongs » 04 Apr 2016, 14:21

If the promoters want to see more cars on track then I can think of a much simpler solution...

Go back to the pre-2016 system, but with one tweak: in q2 and q3 cars must set a minimum of two flying laps, to prevent the top teams waiting til the last minutes to go out and set their one and only time. If a driver fails to set two laps they're faced with a grid penalty.

It would also mix things up in the race since the top teams would now have fewer fresh tyres for the race (although I suppose they could always just use the same set of primes for a banker and set a fast lap on options... perhaps limiting drivers to one set of dry tyres per qualifying session would close that loophole?)
oblongs
Senior
Senior

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 16 Apr 2016, 09:26

Today's qualifying was exciting! Hamilton was eliminated early on because of a problem, and the pressure is starting to mount on him. Wehrlein crashed out, sadly, and the Renaults were nowhere. Williams showed some signs of awakening with a very solid performance by Valtteri Bottas, but of course the main focus was on the Ferrari vs. Nico Rosberg battle. Kimi Räikkönen was able to beat Sebastian Vettel, who only did one run in Q3, but a mistake by both drivers meant that they were unable to challenge Rosberg's time, having to settle for 3rd and 4th. However, it was Daniel Ricciardo who stole the show by slotting into 2nd place, shocking even Christian Horner with this unexpected display of speed.

1 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m35.402s -
2 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull/TAG Heuer 1m35.917s 0.515s
3 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m35.972s 0.570s
4 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m36.246s 0.844s
5 Valtteri Bottas Williams/Mercedes 1m36.296s 0.894s
6 Daniil Kvyat Red Bull/TAG Heuer 1m36.399s 0.997s
7 Sergio Perez Force India/Mercedes 1m36.865s 1.463s
8 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso/Ferrari 1m36.881s 1.479s
9 Max Verstappen Toro Rosso/Ferrari 1m37.194s 1.792s
10 Nico Hulkenberg Force India/Mercedes - -
11 Felipe Massa Williams/Mercedes 1m37.347s -
12 Fernando Alonso McLaren/Honda 1m38.826s -
13 Jenson Button McLaren/Honda 1m39.093s -
14 Romain Grosjean Haas/Ferrari 1m39.830s -
15 Marcus Ericsson Sauber/Ferrari 1m40.742s -
16 Felipe Nasr Sauber/Ferrari 1m42.430s -
17 Kevin Magnussen Renault 1m38.673s -
18 Esteban Gutierrez Haas/Ferrari 1m38.770s -
19 Jolyon Palmer Renault 1m39.528s -
20 Rio Haryanto Manor/Mercedes 1m40.264s -
21 Pascal Wehrlein Manor/Mercedes - -
22 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes - -

Tomorrow we can except the Ferraris to strongly challenge Nico Rosberg, and possibly take the first win of the season, while Daniel Ricciardo will play the role of the dark horse. Most of the action will happen in the midfield for places 5-15, while it is likely that Sauber, Renault and Manor decide the backmarker positions among themselves. An additional spice to the soup will be provided by Lewis Hamilton, who will undoubtedly make an aggressive charge through the field towards the podium positions.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Quiksilver » 18 Apr 2016, 13:41

What a race !! Loved that
Omnia vincit amor.
Quiksilver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 18 Apr 2016, 17:03

This season only keeps getting better and better! Already the first corner set the scene for drama when Sebastian Vettel crashed into Kimi Räikkönen; he was quick to shift the blame to Daniil Kvyat (it was interesting how he waited until the camera was on him before he started lecturing Kvyat after the race - and the Russian had none of it, and quite rightly so). The Iceman's form early on in the season does seem to rattle Vettel's nerves, but we can certainly say the same about Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton. Last season, Rosberg occasionally seemed powerless against Hamilton, but now he has a perfect racing record in the three races so far, and a nice cushion in the championship points. However, don't fall asleep just yet; Hamilton will come back, and there will be sparks flying. Overall, I would say that we are looking at a four-way battle for the championship.

Red Bull is not quite good enough to join them for that battle, but it was nice to see a considerable improvement in their form. Third and fourth is an excellent result, particularly considering Ricciardo's puncture, and Kvyat was absolutely brilliant with his aggressive approach and no-nonsense attitude. More of this in Russia, please!
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Quiksilver » 18 Apr 2016, 20:46

Renault or TAG had an engine update for china.
Omnia vincit amor.
Quiksilver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 26 May 2016, 16:11

Monaco FP1 results:

Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m15.537s - 31
2 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m15.638s 0.101s 39
3 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m15.956s 0.419s 26
4 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull/Renault 1m16.308s 0.771s 29
5 Max Verstappen Red Bull/Renault 1m16.371s 0.834s 30
6 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso/Ferrari 1m16.426s 0.889s 37
7 Nico Hulkenberg Force India/Mercedes 1m16.560s 1.023s 34
8 Sergio Perez Force India/Mercedes 1m16.697s 1.160s 28
9 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m16.912s 1.375s 24
10 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso/Ferrari 1m17.130s 1.593s 39
11 Valtteri Bottas Williams/Mercedes 1m17.562s 2.025s 44
12 Romain Grosjean Haas/Ferrari 1m17.599s 2.062s 33
13 Fernando Alonso McLaren/Honda 1m17.838s 2.301s 27
14 Esteban Gutierrez Haas/Ferrari 1m17.909s 2.372s 25
15 Jenson Button McLaren/Honda 1m17.920s 2.383s 26
16 Felipe Nasr Sauber/Ferrari 1m18.187s 2.650s 29
17 Kevin Magnussen Renault 1m18.274s 2.737s 34
18 Marcus Ericsson Sauber/Ferrari 1m18.301s 2.764s 33
19 Felipe Massa Williams/Mercedes 1m18.746s 3.209s 10
20 Jolyon Palmer Renault 1m18.871s 3.334s 22
21 Rio Haryanto Manor/Mercedes 1m20.528s 4.991s 28
22 Pascal Wehrlein Manor/Mercedes 1m20.868s 5.331s 25

FP2:

Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull/Renault 1m14.607s - 40
2 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1m15.213s 0.606s 36
3 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m15.506s 0.899s 48
4 Max Verstappen Red Bull/Renault 1m15.571s 0.964s 42
5 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso/Ferrari 1m15.815s 1.208s 53
6 Carlos Sainz Toro Rosso/Ferrari 1m15.981s 1.374s 54
7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 1m16.040s 1.433s 38
8 Sergio Perez Force India/Mercedes 1m16.120s 1.513s 48
9 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1m16.269s 1.662s 40
10 Jenson Button McLaren/Honda 1m16.325s 1.718s 46
11 Nico Hulkenberg Force India/Mercedes 1m16.487s 1.880s 49
12 Fernando Alonso McLaren/Honda 1m16.723s 2.116s 43
13 Esteban Gutierrez Haas/Ferrari 1m16.782s 2.175s 40
14 Valtteri Bottas Williams/Mercedes 1m16.849s 2.242s 47
15 Romain Grosjean Haas/Ferrari 1m16.874s 2.267s 23
16 Felipe Massa Williams/Mercedes 1m17.286s 2.679s 42
17 Kevin Magnussen Renault 1m17.530s 2.923s 29
18 Marcus Ericsson Sauber/Ferrari 1m17.562s 2.955s 39
19 Jolyon Palmer Renault 1m17.761s 3.154s 24
20 Felipe Nasr Sauber/Ferrari 1m17.999s 3.392s 49
21 Rio Haryanto Manor/Mercedes 1m18.647s 4.040s 10
22 Pascal Wehrlein Manor/Mercedes 1m18.814s 4.207s 46

Another Red Bull victory on the cards after Verstappen's stellar performance in Spain?
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Racing Stories