How to get sponsordeals in Motorsport

Add your own racing stories & visits, discuss series from now or long ago or tell the stories of your idols.
As long as it involves motorsport chat this is D place.

How to get sponsordeals in Motorsport

Postby Quiksilver » 04 Jun 2019, 22:27

I was wondering how this was done in motorsport in 2019?
What are the concepts used for this ?
Some cars are full with small sponsors while others struggle? what is the difference between them

Does someone know?
Omnia vincit amor.
Quiksilver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sponsordeals in Motorsport

Postby olilongi777 » 05 Jun 2019, 08:13

What do you mean exactly?
olilongi777

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 05 Jun 2019, 13:27

I think that racing teams roughly fall into the following categories:

1. Big factory teams
2. Rich guys having fun
3. Small hopeful privateers

Big factory teams look for big title sponsors. The sponsorship space is so expensive that smaller companies won't buy it, because they would get little visibility for their investment. I guess it's also because for a posh team like Mercedes it would be bad PR to have a lot of tiny sponsor logos dotting their cars? Anyway, they can shun smaller sponsors because there's so much factory money behind the operation.

Rich guys don't bother looking for small sponsors because can afford to pay everything from their own pockets, or they use the team to promote their own company. Or their buddies' company, like Kimi did back in 2009 when he got his mate's bubblegum enterprise on the Ferrari overalls :)

The small timers barely stay alive and big companies aren't interested in them, so they have to scrape up whatever they can find. That means going round small local businesses looking for local sponsors, and/or having business activities of their own.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Quiksilver » 05 Jun 2019, 20:19

olilongi777 wrote:What do you mean exactly?

I changed the title for you :)
Omnia vincit amor.
Quiksilver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Quiksilver » 05 Jun 2019, 20:23

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot wrote:I think that racing teams roughly fall into the following categories:

1. Big factory teams
2. Rich guys having fun
3. Small hopeful privateers

Big factory teams look for big title sponsors. The sponsorship space is so expensive that smaller companies won't buy it, because they would get little visibility for their investment. I guess it's also because for a posh team like Mercedes it would be bad PR to have a lot of tiny sponsor logos dotting their cars? Anyway, they can shun smaller sponsors because there's so much factory money behind the operation.

Rich guys don't bother looking for small sponsors because can afford to pay everything from their own pockets, or they use the team to promote their own company. Or their buddies' company, like Kimi did back in 2009 when he got his mate's bubblegum enterprise on the Ferrari overalls :)

The small timers barely stay alive and big companies aren't interested in them, so they have to scrape up whatever they can find. That means going round small local businesses looking for local sponsors, and/or having business activities of their own.

Do you find that this is the same in rally ??

and you didnt tell me anything about howto..?
Omnia vincit amor.
Quiksilver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to get sponsordeals in Motorsport

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 05 Jun 2019, 21:47

Yes, expecially in rally. I think.

When I worked at the municipal administration info desk, people would usually just march in and ask if we want to sponsor them. Or call us. For young athletes, it was their fathers who did this.

I think it's customary to provide a framed photo as a thank you at the end of the year so the sponsor can display it... At least I see those in all the local shops when I visit them.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Racing Stories