The Livery Carousel

Add your own racing stories & visits, discuss series from now or long ago or tell the stories of your idols.
As long as it involves motorsport chat this is D place.

The Livery Carousel

Postby BassTrombone » 04 Nov 2019, 20:08

This is just an idea for a little forum game, which I think really suits this forum and we might even learn something from it... I hope! The idea is that you post one livery (a couple of photos), real or fictional, but not designed by yourself. You analyze it somewhat and tell the rest what you think about it. It may be a livery you like, one you absolutely do not like, one that stands out for some reason, etc. Before that, also say something about the livery that was posted in the post before yours.

So, it would become something like this:

<< Comment about the previously posted livery, but there is no previous post yet >>

The livery I picked is an underdog, and maybe a somewhat underrated livery: the 1991 Braun Tyrrell-Honda.
For me, this really is a livery with two faces. In the top picture, from the front, it looks absolutely brilliant, even if it is not too colourful. The blue sponsor logos give it a nice touch and the subtle red pinstripes work perfectly to divide the well-balanced dark grey and white areas. It all suits the elegant shape of the car so nicely.
Going to the side view, I still like the top half of it. The logos are all nicely placed and especially the Braun logo has been used smartly, providing just enough space for PIAA. The bottom half is where it goes wrong: it is simply too plain and too dark. This is even more dominant when seeing the car more from the rear, like in the last photo. The big red logo on the rear wing does not really help in making it look balanced as well.

So, all in all, from the front it is absolutely one of my favorite car-livery combinations of all time, but once you start rotating it, it all goes a bit "meh"...

I hope you like it and also make some efforts! :)
BassTrombone
Senior
Senior

Re: The Livery Carousel

Postby MadRacer38 » 05 Nov 2019, 09:26

I like this idea. Good way to see liveries we otherwise would not have seen (or would have forgotten) as well as getting a chance to see what each members preferences are.

BassTrombone wrote:1991 Braun Tyrrell-Honda.

Much the same as Bass, from the front it is quite a nice, tidy livery.

I'd prefer the blue sponsors to be black to tie in with the car, but it doesn't really bother me either.

The white line that goes the length of the car on the other hand...
The fact it strays away from the sidepods and narrows makes it look odd.

-------------------------------------

Now I'm nominating a livery that I got a good look at earlier this year (since I took the photos :lol: )
2019 M-Sport Bentley Continental GT3 - Bathurst 12hr

My initial thought upon seeing the cars was that it was a disgrace. Messy, and boring.

However, I've come to quite like the design, particularly trackside.
It contours the shape of the big bad Bentley quite nicely and the green really does catch your eye.

I also like that Bentley still keep the big number in the grille, reminiscent of yesteryear.
========== Black Diamond Racing #38 ==========
MadRacer38

Postby WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot » 05 Nov 2019, 21:55

I suspect that the colors of that Bentley work much better in real life and on TV than in pictures. Looking at the pictures, I get a nagging feeling that I've designed something like that and regretted it later. The splattery effect is what irks me the most; it makes the otherwise clean design look like a technical school practice job. I do like the lighter shade of green where it touches the black parts; in fact, I think that changing the splattery areas to solid dark green could improve the livery as it would allow the light green to stand out better.

I love the huge number on the grille!

My turn! It is Lorenzo Bertelli's Ford Fiesta WRC from the 2019 season:

There are two reasons why I'm posting this. The first one is that it's an interesting livery that few people get to see because it's driven by a hobby driver who rarely participates in rallies. The second reason is that it is a beautiful example of how to use chrome in a livery.

What is particularly interesting about this livery is that it really comes alive in harsh daylight, which is usually the worst lightning for a livery. That is when the chrome is at its most beautiful, and the red accent color comes to life brilliantly. Sometimes the chrome just seems to blend flawlessly into the black, like in the middle picture, creating a really stunning effect.

I wonder what the hell F*ckmatie is, though, and whether I even want to know.
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EchoKilo97 » 06 Nov 2019, 23:18

I'll get on board for this...
I really like the livery WTF posted, clean, modern and those flashes of red balance the chrome and black so well. Agree that it looks stunning when the chrome blends with the black and continuing the red accenting into the sponsors was a stroke of genius. The designer needs a raise for sure!

So, what did I pick?
For me; it was simple... the 155 DTM car in the "Rosso Martini" livery!

And now why I went for this one. Very simply I hate it. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful car from a fantastic era of motorsport and the soundtrack is heavenly. However, there are 2 major components to this livery that ruin it for me. Firstly, the stripes. I hate the Martini stripes, I spent a lot of time on BATRacer and subsequently on RuroRacing and (especially on BAT) every single season with custom liveries had the one guy in Martini stripes. They've become too iconic. I'm too young to have fallen in love with the stripes when they were first used, I've mainly seen them on homage liveries and whenever anyone says the words "design a retro livery" I just sigh and go "whelp, cue 40 Martini liveries then". The other component is the colour red. I know that's a bit of a big brush and I really don't tar every mainly-red livery with the same brush. I accept Ferrari, Alfa, Fiat etc are Italian manufacturers and their national racing colour is red. In that case, have at it. But as a kid who wasn't allowed to watch F1 because it was boring (I was born in the late 90's so I wanted to watch in the early 2000's) and as a kid who loved cars in a town where motorsport is barely talked about I spent a lot of time around people who thought every red car was a Ferrari and Ferrari was the reason I couldn't watch F1. And, again, I see so many examples of red racing cars it gets really old really quickly.

So in my head at least this is a dull Martini livery that has been made worse by taking away the white background to replace it with Martini's accent colour, red, which I hate as well. I get why they did it and I love to see a red Alfa with white sponsors and the big white Alfa logos but an even-more-red Martini livery boils my piss. Especially when it's on a car I would love to have as a wallpaper!
EchoKilo97
Junior
Junior

Postby BassTrombone » 07 Dec 2019, 12:26

I wholeheartedly disagree with EchoKilo on this one. A lot of sponsor liveries have become somewhat boring and repetitive over the years. The fact that the Martini stripes were always applied differently and were usually very well adapted to the shape of the car, prevented this (unlike Gulf, for example: Gulf has become boring). And this shade of red, I absolutely love it! So much more chic than the Marlboro red, for example. The design of this livery itself is nothing too much special, but still a solid effort with all logo placements nicely fitting the car.

So, I've picked something a bit more obscure this time... The Renault Dealer Team livery for the 2003 Renault Clio V6 Trophy.

I remember Dutch magazine Autovisie issued a design competition for this livery and this was the winner. It is a great way to display the colours of the Dutch flag and this is one of the few asymmetrical liveries that I actually like. It manages to still look clean and the colour split is nicely worked out with even the big retro-ish racing numbers. For me, this definitely is one of the few good liveries in a class where most cars looked bland, unbalanced, or even both.
BassTrombone
Senior
Senior

Postby olilongi777 » 07 Dec 2019, 23:08

BassTrombone brought here quite a really nice lower tier racing livery. Personally, from time to time, i like to see some asymmetrical liveries. This one is quite good, it represents somewhat the Dutch flag. Conversly, there are some things that makes me think and wonder. Orange rear wing kinda breaks the whole idea, i see that its the national colour, but... It doesnt belong to blue-white-red flag tricolor combination. Also, some logo placements kills my eyes, for exp. Michelin on the side and also the hood could be solved somewhat better.

I chosed probably the most known NASCAR livery, the Shell Pennzoil one.

Its not the most complicated livery. However, somehow the red-yellow combination works good like this for me. The red bottom of the car makes also the rear look "not empty", all the logos seems to be placed on the right spot. It kind of represents for me, that you dont have to use too many design patterns and lines and stuff to make a good livery, which is easily recognisable (good for the driver/team/sponsors), what is probably the most important thing.
olilongi777

Return to Racing Stories